Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Chocolate tahini dressing

January 27, 2013


After getting in a tizz about well-composed fruit salads, I dreamed this one up to share with friends as breakfast-dessert when they invited us over for breakfast-proper. I felt a little cruel to be making things with bananas when Michael hates them so much, but I was just using up three of the four that turned up in our vege box. I'm pretty sure I was doing him a favour by outsourcing some of the eating, right?

Bananas are well known to work with Nutella, and I like eating them with peanut butter too. It wasn't too big a stretch, then, to imagine they'd work with the chocolate tahini I recently ate at New Day Rising. I didn't chase down the jarred stuff they buy, though - I just whisked some cocoa and maple syrup into tahini, thinned it out and we were good to go. The bitterness of the tahini asserted itself nicely against the banana, instead of just reinforcing the sweetness as Nutella would. This dressing is a prime candidate for flavouring smoothies, dolloping on toast or pancakes or waffles, and stirring into ice cream too.



Chocolate tahini dressing

2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 scant tablespoon cocoa
pinch of salt

Whisk all the ingredients together, adjust the flavour balance to taste, and gradually stir in drops of water to achieve the consistency you desire.

20 comments:

  1. Drool. Drool, drool, drool. Maybe we need chocolate hummus, with, uh, chocolate chips and peanut butter instead of chickpeas now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I think there are some chocolate hummus recipes kicking around that do include chickpeas but your version sounds tastier. ;-)

      Delete
  2. YUM. Two days ago I bought a jar of Greek chocolate tahini spread and I've been eating it with a spoon, so there's only a bit left. Totally understand peoples' addiction to this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veganopoulous! I've never actually seen it before - what are the ingredients?

      Delete
    2. Tahini 62%, sugar, defatted cocoa powder 6%, rapeseed oil, soya lecithin, flavour. I was told it's vegan but have emailed the company just in case (yeah, after I ate half of it...)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I'll definitely be buying a jar if I ever come across it.

      Delete
  3. The embarrassing thing is that several times a week (um, and generally multiple times a nigh on each of those "several times"), I stir together nut butter, maple syrup, and carob/cocoa powder and eat it from the bowl with a spoon. YOU BE FANCY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah - I be fancy when showing off to friends. Otherwise I drop chocolate chips right into the peanut butter jar and go for it with a spoon. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Haha. I am totally guilty of that.

      Delete
  4. This is the BEST. Off to the pantry I go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome recipe, I can imagine you and Michael on My Kitchen Rules. It's a bummer it's not open to vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyf! That's flattering, but I'm not sure we could handle the pressure or the cameras... and I'm not sure family TV could handle my kitchen potty-mouth. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Made this today, totally loved it! Will blog about it later in the week x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting, if your not a big fan of tahini do you think you might still like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K! My dressing retained a pretty strong tahini flavour so you might prefer to try a different nut butter instead.

      Delete
  8. Did your friends like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly appreciated it more than Michael did!

      Delete