Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 9, 2009: Lime mayonnaise

Here's a calendar recipe that's right up my alley - lime mayonnaise. I love mayonnaise on burgers and sandwiches, and chips dipped in aioli would rate as one of my favourite foods; back in my pre-veg days, battered fish with tartare sauce would have rated as highly. However, after a weekend of (over)indulgence, we needed to scale back a bit and I decided to team this lime mayonnaise with oven-baked tofu 'fish' bites. The freshest half of the plate features mixed green leaves and a coleslaw recipe from Veganomicon with bonus radishes.

As if lime juice and zest aren't enough pep, this condiment also includes horseradish and mustard. Fresh horseradish root isn't quite in season so we took the second option listed and bought horseradish cream from the supermarket. I've not tried horseradish before but it's in the same plant family as mustard and wasabi - it has that same acidic heat that punches you in the nose. The only other alteration I made to this recipe was downsizing - the original ingredient list added up to over a litre of mayo!


Lime mayonnaise

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup light sour cream
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 teaspoon horseradish cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Whisk all the ingredients together and refrigerate until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment