Monday, March 12, 2007

March 10, 2007: A home-cooked breakfast


A rare weekend breakfast cooked at home: wilted baby spinach leaves, button mushrooms fried in a little butter and balsamic vinegar, vege sausages with bbq sauce and toast. (Michael had a couple of fried eggs, too.) All ingredients were fortuitously in the house, except for the fresh loaf of sundried tomato and herb bread - but picking it up gave Michael an excuse to fetch a paper and a coffee, anyway.

This was our first trial of Vegideli brand sage and marjoram sausages, which are imported from the UK and sold at Allergy Block. (Unfortunately I can't remember how much I paid for them, I think it was $5 - 7 for a 295g pack of 8 smallish sausages.) I'm pretty picky with my vege sausages and I reckon these might be the best I've ever found! Much less rubbery than tofu ones, but they hold together better than the chickpea and vege ones that we usually buy from Safeway. Maybe I'm delusional, but I reckon they smell a little like the KFC secret recipe (my guiltiest pleasure in my previous life as an omnivore).

1 comment:

  1. Yum. That looks exactly like the Big Breakfast at the Blairgowrie Cafe.

    ReplyDelete